Every animal has its own way of conveying its emotions. If you have pets at your home then you might be acquainted with various methods that different types of pets use to communicate with their masters. When it comes to dogs; most of the masters think that wagging a tail means that dog is in happy and energetic mood, which is not the whole truth. You might be wondering that if dogs don’t wag their tails to reveal their happiness then why do dogs wag their tail?
If you feel confused about the reason behind the wagging tail of a dog then you need to consider the example of a human being revealing his nervousness. There are many humans who tend to laugh or jump when they are extremely nervous. Their nervous laugh is very different from their normal happy laugh which can easily be identified by any human who is closely related family member. Same is the case with the dogs, when you seem to meet a stranger dog who is wagging his tail, you might mistake his wagging tail for a sign of happiness. On the contrary, his own master might easily recognize the difference between his happiness, nervousness, excitement or aggressiveness by detecting different styles of tail wag.
Different reasons behind the tail wagging of a dog:
Dogs basically communicate with their masters and other human beings through their body movements and their tail wagging styles. Although a stranger might not be able to tell the difference but people who live with dogs can tell the various emotional phases of a dog through different styles of wagging tail. If your dog is wagging its tail and you can’t interpret its meaning then here are some of the guidelines that might prove helpful:
- If the tail of your dog is in its natural position then it means that your dog is feeling relaxed at the moment. You can definitely pat your dog on the head or let it sit idly beside you so you two can have some relaxed time together.
- If your dog is holding its tail at the lower position than its normal position then it might mean that your dog is feeling nervous about the presence of anything of anybody. It might be feeling nervous due to the change in environment.
- If your dog has hidden its tail under the body then it means that your dog is feeling scared of something. If you see such behavior then you must try to calm the dog and try to eliminate the source of fear as soon as possible.
- If your dog is holding its tail at the extreme height then it means that it’s feeling a sense of arousal.
- If your dog is holding its tail at the vertical angle then its best to keep a distance from your dog because holding the tail at this position means that your dog is feeling angry or aggressive.
- If your dog is holding its tail in a very straight position then it means that its feeling curious about something.
Understanding the tail positions or tail movements of a dog is a very important requirement for all those people who are interested in adopting a pet because only then they can lead a happy life with their dogs.