Dogs might be very friendly but they are also quite moody creatures. If you feel the need to pet any dog then you have to do it very cautiously because not every dog likes to be petted. You need to notice the mood of the dog and approach the dog in a very careful manner. If you have never pet a dog before then the below mentioned guidelines are going to help you how to pet a dog in an easy manner.
- The first step is to analyze your method of approaching the dog you want to pet. You must understand that the method to approach a dog holds a great influence on the re-action of the dog. If you are petting someone’s dog then you need to get the permission of that dog’s owner before petting the dog. If would also be best to ask the owner that how his dog likes to be petted and where his dog likes to be petted.
- If the dog is bound inside a small space or if the dog is chewing on something then you need to be extremely careful because such a dog can easily attack or bite you. If you are approaching a dog that is wandering loosely without its owner then you need to approach that dog in a very careful manner and be ready to run if dog shows aggression.
- If the dog is with its owner then you need to squat near the dog. By squatting, you are inviting the dog to come near you. If the dog is confident then it will easily approach you but if the dog feels insecure then it will not come near you. Never ever bend over the dog in a direct manner because if the dog feels insecure then it can easily attack you.
- You can also use tempting and sweet voices to invite the dog towards yourself. You must make yourself scarce so the dog finds you un-threatening.
- Offer your fist to the dog once the dog moves towards you. This way the dog will sniff on your fist and decide whether you are trustworthy or not. Never offer your open hand because if the dog feels insecure then it can easily bite your hand.
- If the dog seems comfortable with loose body then you must start petting it by stroking the ears and surrounding area of the dog. You must continue if the dog doesn’t reveal aggression. Bear in mind not to touch the dog’s head from the front of its face. You must always reach to touch the dog’s head from the side.
- If the dog didn’t show any aggressiveness while petting on the head then it means that you can easily move on to the other body parts of the dog such as dog’s back, dog’s neck, dog’s shoulder, dog’s tail area, dog’s hind legs. Or if the dog allows you to then you can also scratch on chest or chin of the dog.
You can carry on the petting if the dog seems to be enjoying it but if the dog shows signs of irritation or aggression then you must instantly withdraw your hand.