What is the first thought that crosses your mind when you hear the word “pet shelters”? Well, definitely these are places where animals have seeked refuge in order to protect themselves from the monstrosities of the society. The animals that seek refuge inside these shelters are known as rescue pets. You are going to find cats and dogs in the majority. The biggest issue with an animal living inside the pet shelter is that these cats or dogs don’t get the chance to live longer. The management of pet shelters waits for a few days or a month for the adoption of their rescue pet and if the pet is not adopted during the set time period then the pet is put to sleep. Yep! It seems brutal but this is the way things run down here.
What is a pet shelter?
If you are thinking about adopting a pet then pet shelter is the ideal place to get one for yourself. Pet shelter is the place that is usually run by the non-profit organizations for the welfare of animals that are considered to be un-wanted or are wandering homeless. When the pets get rescued by the management of the pet shelter, they tend to receive following facilities during their stay at the shelter:
- They get proper medical examination by an experienced veterinary doctor.
- They are vaccinated against the danger for any of the pet diseases.
- They are also examined and treated for the worms or any other kind of infestation.
- They are provided with high quality, clean, hygienic accommodation during the stay.
- They are also provided with high quality, hygienic and nutritious food.
- They are also provided with the husbandry facilities during the stay.
- Before the adoption, these pets are also put to temperament-testing in order to check their behavior according to the adoption requirements.
How to adopt a pet from pet shelter?
Adopting a pet from the pet shelter is not an easy task nowadays because the pet shelter management does a proper background check on the adoptive owners of the rescue pets so they can protect the pet against any sort of future damage. If you want to adopt a rescue pet then you need to visit the nearby pet shelter and state your requirements for a pet. Once you have made a selection of the required pet, you need to submit an application for that pet requesting the adoption. If your application is granted the acceptance then a member of the pet shelter is going to visit your place in order to ensure that your place fulfills the requirements to be a comfortable home for the pet.
Further background check and character interview is done. At the end, if everything is found ok then you will be required to fill in some forms and submit the fee for the adoption of the desired pet. Then, at last you will be permitted to take the pet to your home sweet home.