Home / Health & Care / Dealing Chocolate Poisoning In Dogs
Chocolate Poisoning In Dogs

Dealing Chocolate Poisoning In Dogs

Everybody loves to eat chocolate in this age. Whether it’s a kid, an adult or a pet, chocolate is the most favorite desert on earth. Latest scientific research has revealed that caffeine present in chocolate helps you feel relax and lowers the level of mental stress. But the thing that most of the people don’t know is that excessive intake of chocolate can incur toxic effects on the dogs. In this article you will get to know a lot about the symptoms and cure of the chocolate poisoning in dogs.

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs:

  • The initial signs of the chocolate poisoning that you will see are the gastrointestinal issues. If your dog has upset stomach then you need to observe his routine diet. If the diet contains chocolate then it means that your dog’s digestive system is getting disturbed due to the chocolate poisoning. Other than the disturbance in stomach, your dog is also going feel vomiting and will also feel sick due to diarrhea.
  • Apart from the gastrointestinal issues, your dog will also start getting restless and will show as if it is in pain.
  • Your dog will also start drinking more water.
  • Breathing rate of your dog will get dangerously high.
  • The heart of your dog will also beat at a much faster rate.
  • Your dog might also show neurological symptoms such as seizures and tremors.
  • The body temperature of your dog will also increase.
  • Coma (in rare and extreme cases).

The amount of chocolate that could be harmful for the dog:

Now we need to look out for the exact amount of the chocolate that could be harmful for a dog. There are different types of chocolates; some of them are dark and bitter while others are blended with milk. According to the veterinary experts, the more darker the chocolate, the more it will be harmful for your dog.

If your dog eats a piece of chocolate that possesses around 20mg theobromine for each a pound of your dog then it means that your dog needs instant medical attention. This also means that the poisonous effect of the weight age of the theobromine present in the chocolate has a special link with the body weight of your dog.

How to provide first aid at home in case of chocolate poisoning?

If your dog has eaten a chocolate containing 20mg theobromine and you are unable to gain access to instant medical help then the first thing that you can do at home to save the dogs life is to induce vomit.

This can easily be done with the help of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. You need to give your dog a teaspoon of Hydrogen Peroxide per 10 pounds body weight. If you provided the first dose and your dog didn’t vomit then you must repeat the procedure again after the ten minutes. You must never at any cost repeat this procedure for more than two times. Even if you have induced the vomit at home, you must still rush your dog to the hospital as soon as you can so it can be treated properly.

Check Also

How to know if you’re allergic to cats

How To Know If You’re Allergic To Cats?

Allergies in human beings from pets are quite a common thing, allergies from their fur …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Show Buttons
Share On Facebook
Share On Twitter
Share On Google Plus
Share On Pinterest
Share On Stumbleupon
Hide Buttons